Friday, May 22, 2009

Dublin: Day One in D2

The coast

I arrived in Dublin early Tuesday morning; tired, anxious, and smelly. I made my way through customs and outside to the bus terminal. There I met Mike and Aaron, two kids a few years younger than I, from New York who had just graduated from Brandies the day before, on their own journey through Europe. We chatted for a bit while waiting for the right bus to take us into town. After a quiet bus ride into the city center we parted ways, wishing each other fun, safety and good luck.

After wondering around Harcourt St. trying to locate my hotel, I asked directions from a cute Irish girl whose name I can’t recall and she was nice enough to walk me to my destination. I wasn’t able to check in right away so I walked around a bit, found an internet cafĂ© to waste some time in and finally checked in, very much relieved. After a much needed shower and a nap I was ready to go. I walked around “my neighborhood” a bit and found a pub named Fiele right on Wexford st. I walked in, went straight to the bar and ordered my first of many a Guinness. Honestly, it does taste different here! After a few more pints and a burger I received a text from my friend Cathy.

I met Cathy back in late January, the weekend of my birthday in New York, and then the next two weekends she spent in Boston, including a night on my couch. Cathy is a friend of my now ex-girlfriend Bekki and to be honest I was slightly hesitant to contact her at first. After admitting this to her she reassured me that if I had come to Dublin and not contacted her she would have been extremely offended. So I was feeling just fine at this point. I met Cathy and her two friends Jon and Keira at a bar off Grafton Street named the Dakota Bar. We all shared many a rounds and many laughs until Keira had to go home.

Cathy, Noelle, Me

Noelle and I

At this point Cathy and I returned to my hotel room to prepare for the long night ahead of us. As it turns out my hotel has one of the most well known night clubs in all of Dublin on the main floor. A quick session of doing our hair up right, applying cologne/perfume and watching a bit of Desperate Housewives (her idea, not mine, honest) we headed downstairs to the club which thankfully was empty at the time. This gave us some time to drink, chat about anything and everything and catch up. As the night progressed the club started to fill up. A group of about 6 women occupied the table next to us. Go figure that not only were they from Boston, but one of them, a women by the name of Noelle actually lives in the same neighborhood as me. We flirted for most of the night and after many drinks, a lock or two of the lips and some shaking of the hips, she disappeared along with her friends into the night… oh well. Cathy and I kept drinking. The club closed at about 3:30 and we retired up to my room for some shut eye. Unfortunately for Cathy she had to be at work early the next morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment