Thursday, May 28, 2009

Don’t eat the Mussels in Brussels!

A warning I whole heartedly recommend you all heed.

I arrived in Brussels; tired, hung over and anxious. I honestly had no idea what to expect about this place. I should have done more research. After going through customs and getting some much needed water, I found out the best way to my hotel was via the speed rail train. I got my ticket, boarded and within 20 minutes I was off at the Midi Zuid station. I walked outside and faced the harsh fact that, once again, I should have done more research about this place.

As I walked out, I certainly got a few dirty looks from the local, most likely poor people, though it was broad daylight and the little research I did do I came to understand most train stations should be avoided at night. I walked down the street and by looking at my surroundings, yup you guessed, I was in the not so nice south side of old town Brussels, dodgey looking people, old, half dilapidated buildings, boarded up windows etc.. .

It took me a half hour to find my hotel since the map I had of Brussels was a bit hard to read. I went to check in only to be discouraged by the fact that my room was not ready yet. I left my bags and wandered around a bit. As I walked up Rue de Midi Zuid I noticed nothing but coffee shops and kebab restaurants with Arab writing everywhere. I was staying in the Arab section of town; Saudi’s, Iraqi’s, Iranians, etc… GGGGRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTT!!!!

I went back to the hotel, sat around and finally my room was ready. As I waited, there was a brochure display in the lobby and a place called O’Reilly’s caught my attention. Perfect I had a place to watch the Heineken cup!!! I got into the elevator and went up one floor. As the door opened my nostrils were assaulted by the stench of mildew and ammonia. Go figure, not only am I in a bad part of town with people who don’t like my people, but the hotel looked like no one was taking care of it. I guess that’s what I get for 50 euro a night. But when I walked into my room, I was pleasantly surprised to find it rather clean and dare I say slightly stylish. It had creamy orange embossed wall paper, modern light fixtures and lamps and although severely cramped, a nice bathroom.

After a much needed shower and nap I set off to explore the famous Grand Market Place. Leaving the hotel I walked straight up Rue de Midi Zuid and followed the skyline. Once I entered the market place I was totally enthralled, in awe and speechless. Never in my life had I seen something so amazing. Sure, one can say New York City is jaw dropping, but this here has been like this for CENTURIES!!! Not just one or two but several! The architecture alone was stunning, but mix in the placement, the details and the grandeur and it was truly something breathtaking that no string of words or picture could truly capture.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I wondered around the area for a while, finally stopping at a café for a beer. Afterwards it was to try and locate this Irish pub to watch the game. After what seemed like an hour, I had almost given up until finally I found the street it was on. There happened to be a large English crowd there for the game. How did I know this? They were all outside singing random little songs that sounded like they were just made up. The English do that. I grabbed a beer and sat down on a bench next to these two Irish guy and we got to chatting. I knew a bit about Rugby but they filled me in on the things I did not know. Leinster, the Irish team won the game 15-9. There were cheers and such, but I could only imagine how crazy it was not only in Dublin but all over Ireland. I wish I was still there.

I left the bar and wondered around for a while finding the secret restaurant row and ended up eating at, of all places a tapas restaurant called La Corrila. The food was superb, the drinks as well. I had a small plate of anchovies to start which tasted as if they were marinating in olive oil, lemon and a touch of vinegar for hours. Next was a plate of spicy calamari but they dish that set it off was the mussels. They were perfect, some of the best I’ve ever had. They were small and succulent marinating in a broth of white wine, onions, parsley, and most likely some saffron. After dinner I wondered around some more, taking in the sight and sounds and eventually made my way back to the hotel. A solid first day indeed I said to myself. Little did I know that things would be taking a turn for the worst before I knew it.

1 comment: