Tuesday, May 12, 2009

1 week from now...

I'll be in Dublin. I've always wanted to see Ireland and since my stay will be short it might as well be Dublin. Growing up in Boston my whole life and diving into the drinking scene since I was of legal age (ok, well maybe a bit before that for which I can thank Jesse and Nate for) the Irish pub is the atypical spot to grab a beer with friends. Sure there are the other bars (sports bars, dive bars, nightclubs, strip clubs, fancy bars etc…) but nothing truly screams traditional Boston to me more than the Irish pub. I mean c’mon other then maybe New York or possibly even Chicago, Boston is truly little Ireland USA. I look forward to sampling a true Guinness from a true Irish pub. Eating at a Chipper and seeing exactly what it is about Dublin that sets it apart from the rest of the world’s cities. Honestly, if I could find a small pub with a group of musicians playing traditional Irish music in the corner that would make my trip to Ireland. I want to hear the bagpipes, accordion, tin whistle, fiddle and guitars all coming together, perfectly harmonizing and complimenting each other into a tradition Irish folk song. Everyone knows the Fields of Athenry or Back Home in Derry. I want the true thing. Grab a pint and sing along.
Now, my whole reason for going to Europe is not to just get inebriated every night and fall on my face into a pool of my own vomit. I admit there will be some of that (minus the vomit part), I do plan on doing some drinking of authentic foreign beer and bars and clubs. I want to see everything I can. Yes, I will most certainly hit up some of the tourist destinations like La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, The Jewish quarter in Prague, The War Museum in Brussels and others but I want to this journey to be a smidgen more “Bourdain-esque.” I want to see what the locals see. Eat and drink like they do. Maybe I have been watching too much travel channel, but to truly understand a foreign city, its culture and its people you have to do a bit more than see its sights.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment